Table of Contents
The ugly blackheads often appear on your face, especially on your cheeks and make you feel uncomfortable with an unprofessional outlook. Even when you have tried many ways to remove them, they are still there.
So, the question is: How to get rid of blackheads on cheeks effectively?
In this article, you will find the most useful information, as well as methods to remove blackheads in your skin.
How are blackheads formed on cheeks?
There are millions of hair follicles in our body, which contain sebaceous glands that excrete oil. This oil (or sebum) works as a protected membrane that covers our skin and keeps it moisturized.
If your skin produces excess oil, plus with dirt and dead skin cells, they will form a bump inside the hair follicle. If the bump is entirely covered by a thin layer of skin, we call it a white head acne. In contrast, if the surface layer does not close, the bump will expose to the air and become black. That is when blackheads are formed.
You are more likely to develop blackheads if:
- There is too much oil in your skin
- A type of bacteria that called Propionibacterium acne is available on your skin
- Your hormone level changes abnormally thus supports the oil production (especially in adolescents, during menstrual circles and woman who take birth control pills)
- You are under specific medical treatment that requires hormonal drugs
Besides, if your daily diets contain a high amount of carbohydrates and non-healthy fat, there is a greater risk of developing blackheads. However, this connection needs to be supported by stronger evidence.
Where do I have blackheads?
Typical acne usually appears in some particular position of your body, including the face, chest, and back. The present of blackheads is no different, but they can spread to other parts, such as the neck, arms, and shoulders.
In your face, blackheads often assemble in your nose, cheeks, and chins. The appearance of the tiny black spots on your cheeks may affect the professional outlook, even when you have applied layers of makeup to cover them.
That is why you need to take a good care of your skin, especially know how to get rid of blackheads on your cheeks to maintain the radiant and natural beauty.
In some parts below, we will gradually guide you how to get rid of those ugly blackheads on your skin by using medical and homemade methods. You will see your milky white and smooth cheeks come back from one to two weeks!
How to get rid of blackheads on cheeks?
Using over the counter (OTC) treatment
If you want to find the fastest method to deal with blackheads on your cheeks, there are plenty of medications on the drug store for you without a prescription. They are easy to use in the form of gel, cream, and pad that can be applied directly on your face.
Here are some options:
Salicylic acid 6% topical cream
This chemical compound is famous for removing excess oil and dead cells from the pores. Thus it can help you get rid of blackheads efficiently. The topical form is for external use only, so it is simple to follow the instruction below:
- Step 1. Test a small amount of salicylic acid cream on the area under your arm. This step makes sure you are not allergic with any element of the drug.
- Step 2. Before going to bed, wash your face thoroughly with a gentle cleanser and apply a thin layer of moisturizer on your cheeks.
- Step 3. Take a corn-size of the cream and apply on the blackheads area. Do not put too much cream or spread it widely or it may cause irritation to the other sensitive parts of your face.
- Step 4. Leave the cream on your skin overnight, then wash it off carefully in the morning.
You should use the cream once a day within at least two weeks to see the result.
Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Gel
The benefits of this OTC drug is similar to Salicylic acid. You can follow those steps above while using Benzoyl Peroxide. But there are a few extra notes that you should know :
- Apply the gel under sunlight may irritate your skin, so it is forcible to use sunscreen when you are out.
- You can increase the dosage up to three times per day. But do not miss doses, or the effects may reduce.
Using prescription medications
If using those OTC treatments above does not improve the situation, you should talk to a dermatologist to receive some stronger medications. They will know exactly how to help you get rid of blackheads not just on your cheeks but other parts of the body.
These drugs often contain vitamin A that prevents the plugs from growing inside the pores and stimulates the cells rejuvenation. The benefits of these drugs are attributed to the tretinoin, tazarotene, and adapalene elements.
Sometimes, your doctor will indicate antibiotics drugs to control the inflammation of the skin, especially when pimples or acne cysts are present.
If you want to know how to get rid of blackheads on your cheeks immediately, this method is exactly what you are looking. You can perform this procedure at home or ask for help from a skin care professional.
A unique device that helps you remove the plug is a round loop extractor. Please follow the steps below to use this device correctly:
- Step 1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap or hands foam
- Step 2. Dip the device into a quick sterilized liquid, so it will not cause infection
- Step 3. Wash your face with foam cleanser and warm water to clean and enlarge the pores
- Step 4. Soak a towel in lukewarm water and leave it on your cheeks. Repeat this process for at least ten minutes to make sure the pores open fully
- Step 5. Place the round loop of the device on the blackhead and press gently until the whole contents are extracted. Repeat with other pores.
- Step 6. After you have done, rewash your face and apply toner to minimize the pores. Then you can use essence or serum that designed for acne and blackheads.
You can learn more about THE BEST TOOLS FOR BLACKHEADS REMOVAL.
But remember not to abuse this method because it may damage your skin when you keep putting pressure on it. Besides, continuous stimulation on the pores will make them dilate and excrete more oil – the primary reason for plugs.
Manual removal should only be performed when blackheads break out and cannot be controlled by usual medication.
This procedure requires some unique instruments with rough surfaces to rub on the upper layer of the skin. After the process, the clogs and dead skin cells will disappear, results in a brighter skin tone and smoother texture. That is why this method can improve not only blackheads but other skin conditions, such as wrinkles, aging, pigmentation, and sun damage.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the estimated cost of this procedure is 139 dollars . It is a reasonable price if you want to renew your skin by a mild invasive method.
The reported side effects of microdermabrasion are mild, so this procedure is considered safe for almost everyone.
You can use both chemical and natural peels to remove the whole contents inside the hair follicles, which include clogs and dead skin cells.
The entire idea of this masks is using a sticky substance to seep into pores and contact with the top of the blackheads, as they are revealed on the skin surface. After the content dried out, the acne is irremovable from the mask and will be pulled out when you peel it off.
Now we will introduce some natural recipes of making peel-off masks and how to use them to get rid of blackheads in your face, focus on the cheeks area.
- 1 teaspoon of plain milk
- 1 teaspoon of gelatin powder
Add the milk into the gelatin powder and put the bowl in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. The natural softening agents in plain milk help soften the skin, while gelatin works as a peel-off substance.
- ½ teaspoon of gelatin powder
- 1 tablespoon of water
- ½ teaspoon of activated charcoal
Combine the charcoal with gelatin powder in a bowl, then add hot water to the mixture. Use a tooth stick to mix it thoroughly, then apply on your cheeks and nose. Charcoal is a perfect element that helps remove toxin and dirt from the skin pores.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Separate the egg white from the yolk, then add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice into the egg white. Use a small whisk to blend the mixture, then apply on the affected area. Egg white contains a high source of protein that helps nourish the skin and shrink pores, while lemon is extremely useful for oil control and calm the skin.
- 2 teaspoons of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of gelatin powder
Combine orange juice and gelatin powder in a small bowl, then put the mixture in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. The gelatin will melt off and form a sticky-orange mixture that can be applied directly on your cheeks.
Oranges are a natural remedy for skin care, but they are sufficient for oily and irritated skin conditions. The acid amount in oranges helps reduce the excess oil from your skin and make it smoother.
How to use peel-off masks correctly
Using these masks does not require complicated skills, so you can apply this method at home to get rid of blackheads on your cheeks. But it is important to take note that:
- Do not overuse peel-off methods, because it may trigger the skin to produce more oil and dilate the pores. The recommendation for you is once per week.
- Wash your face thoroughly before applying the masks to remove excess dirt on your skin
- After taking the mixture out of the microwave, you need to be careful because the melted gelatin is too hot. Do not put it on your face until it cools down.
- Remember to apply toner and skin care cream on your cheeks after the procedure to prevent irritation and dehydration.
Laser and red light therapy
The laser wavelengths can penetrate deeply through the skin layers and target at the roots of the blackheads. Without causing damages on the top layer of the skin, it can control the oil production – the primary reason for blackheads.
Otherwise, there are some BENEFITS OF RED LIGHT THERAPY you can take a look.
If you consider using this therapy, talk to your doctor so he/she could provide full information about the effectiveness and safety of this method.
How to prevent blackheads on your cheeks?
To get rid of blackheads completely, as well as stop them from appearing on your cheeks, please follow some recommendation below:
Follow skin hygiene steps
- Always use makeup remover after applying any types of cosmetic, including sunscreens
- Wash your face at least twice a day: after waking up and before going to bed
- Apply toner after hygiene steps to shrink the pores
Choose the sufficient products for your skin
- Consider moving to the oil-free products to prevent blackheads buildups
- Different skin care products are designed for particular skin types, such as normal, dry, oily, combination, and sensitive ones. You need to choose the right products that fit your skin condition.
Use exfoliating cream
The other name of this product is the scrub, which contains tiny sand to remove dead skin cells that may form blackheads. You can use it 1-2 times per week to get the better result.
Here is the top useful information to answer the question: How to get rid of blackheads on cheeks effectively? Plus with some homemade recipes, we hope you can choose the sufficient method to take care of your skin.
Give us thumbs up and SHARE this article to reach millions of internet users out there!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. We are here to help you!