Chlamydia is one of the most popular sexual transmitted diseases (STDs) worldwide. It happens in both men and women and could leave behind terrible effects. But how to treat Chlamydia? Along with antibiotics, lots of home remedies for Chlamydia treatment is beneficial. They help build your body immune system against bacteria with limited adverse effects.
In this article, we will present every basic knowledge about this disease, and most amazing home remedies for Chlamydia.
What causes Chlamydia?
This disease is named after Chlamydia Trachomatis – a parasitic bacteria. Chlamydia can survive in the hard environment (ex. minus 50 degrees for years), but being destroyed by heat easily (60 degrees in 10 minutes). Regular sterilized liquid can wipe out this bacteria for a short time. However, it could still remain in dry clothes or towels for days.
It takes responsibility for eye infection in newborn children (Trachoma), and infection in the reproductive system in adults. Knowing how Chlamydia spreads will help you find out proper treatment and prevention of this disease. If you are a normal and healthy person or child, there are two ways to catch Chlamydia.
- Having sex with an infected partner without protection. Chlamydia appears in the patient’s mucous membranes in vagina, anal, and mouth. By directly contact with these parts in your sexual partner, you will be infected easily.
- Pregnant women having Chlamydia can pass this disease to her child while giving birth. The bacteria in mom’s vagina transmit to the infant and lead to eye infection or pneumonia.
Although Chlamydia can appear in both genders, women and young girls are more likely infected than men.
What are symptoms of Chlamydia?
Although being one of the most widespread STDs, Chlamydia is also known as “the silence infection.” In fact, up to 75% female and 50% male with Chlamydia do not show any symptoms, which may confuse medical practitioners and patients as well. Around 1 – 3 weeks after sexual intercourse, patients can exhibit signs and symptoms. Chlamydia would affect the genital area, rectum, and throat if the patient had oral sex previously.
- Overwhelming vaginal discharge
- Bad smell vaginal discharge
- Abnormal bleeding between menstrual cycles
- Lower abdominal pain
- Light fever
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Itching, burning at the vaginal area
- Pain, burning while urinating
- Abnormal penile discharge (ex. excessive discharge or pus)
- Pain, burning while urinating
- Swelling or pain at testicle area
- Itching, burning at the tip of the penis
Besides, if you suffered anal sex or oral sex, there might be some specific symptoms. For examples, rectal pain, bleeding, discharge, or itchy throat are primary signs in these cases .
Is Chlamydia dangerous?
If Chlamydia is not diagnosed and treated properly, it could lead to some hidden dangers. In the female, the bacteria cause inflammation in the genital area, then makes its way to the uterus and fallopian tube. This situation is one of the main reasons for ectopic pregnancies and infertility. In India, scientists also found the association between Chlamydia infection and infertility rate in women . In some severe cases, pelvic inflammatory disease can occur, which requires longer treatment period and surgery.
In the male, although complications of Chlamydia is less common, there are still risks of epididymis inflammation (where sperm is stored and transported). However, whether Chlamydia causes infertility in male remains unclear.
Chlamydia eye infection in newborn children usually happens two to three weeks after childbirth. It can heal without treatment but sometimes leads to vision impairment.
Diagnosis depends on patient’s history about sexual activities, symptoms, and clinical palpation. Sometimes, your doctor may indicate test from genital or urinary tract to make sure there are no other bacteria. In one patient Chlamydia frequently combines with other STDs (ex. gonorrhea), so it is necessary to make an accurate diagnosis.
Treatment for Chlamydia
Perhaps this is the biggest question ever: Is Chlamydia curable?
Fortunately, Chlamydia is no more than an ordinary inflammation, so it is completely treatable by antibiotics. You may consider what antibiotics cures Chlamydia most effective. There are several options for you between Tetracycline and Macrolide antibiotics groups, such as Doxycycline or Erythromycin.
These medications are also recommended for your sexual partner to prevent the bacteria from spreading. In pelvic inflammation disease, surgery is necessary, but it depends on your doctor decision.
How to cure Chlamydia naturally?
While using those medications above, you may acquire unwanted side effects or allergy. So, how to treat Chlamydia at home?
Alternatively, natural cure for Chlamydia is very useful. They are easy to find, inexpensive, and very friendly with your body. We are about to mention some home remedies for Chlamydia that you already had in your kitchen, or available in the supermarket.
Among natural remedies for Chlamydia, garlic is one of the best antibiotic and antiviral plant that Mother Nature has given us. The anti-inflammation elements in raw garlic cure Chlamydia quickly if you eat an adequate amount . 3 – 4 cloves of garlic per day is a recommended portion for adults. You can choose different ways to eat garlic, including:
- Eat raw garlic before or during a meal
- Add garlic to your food while cooking
- Take garlic capsule orally
Whatever ways you choose, make sure to have the equivalent to 3 – 4 raw cloves of garlic per day. Despite bad breath and body odor, garlic contains powerful elements that can wipe out numbers of diseases besides Chlamydia. But if you overeat garlic, it may cause stomach upset, loss of appetite, nausea or diarrhea. Applying garlic topically may burn your skin or create rash, which is not recommended.
For centuries, people have used turmeric as a spice in numbers of food, especially Indian curry. Turmeric is widely known for its anti-oxidant properties and skin care benefits. Besides, it could stop the bacteria from attaching the mucosal membranes without any adverse effects .
Curcumin – a natural compound that imparts the yellow color to the herb, is said to be one of the strongest anti-bacteria agents. It also helps boost your immune system efficiently to debate Chlamydia.
According to scientists, you can take up to 600mg of standardized curcumin powder, 3 times per day . In addition, there are other ways to use this amazing nature remedy:
- Turmeric dried root: Most people use turmeric this way. 1 – 3g per day is an adequate amount for you.
- Liquid extract: should be taken up to 30 – 90 drops per day.
- Tincture: 4 times per day, 3 – 7 drops each time.
If you have any abnormal blood bleeding diseases, or undertaking blood-thinning medication, please consult your doctor before using turmeric.
Olive tree extract
Fresh olive leaves are perfect sources for olive tree extract. Research has proved that this way of olive tree exploitation serves 40 times better than origin olive oil, in antioxidant perspective.
They put olive tree extract in several forms: liquid, capsule, powder, and tea. Whether you take it orally or topically, it still contains powerful agents to reduce inflammation and help kill Chlamydia . Here are some suggestions for you:
- Capsules form: There are some options of olive leaves extract concentration. The purest ones bring up strongest effects but can cause stomach irritated. If you want to use on your kids, consider moving to mixed olive leaves extract capsules.
- Tincture: Your digestive system absorbs this type of extract almost instantly. It is a good idea to use tincture in acute condition.
- Powder: It is made by crushing dried olive leaves, so extract concentration is lower. Mix powder in your herbal tea or food and enjoy as a supplement.
- Liquid: drink straightly, or mix with water or juice. Or simply rub the liquid in your genital area.
This plant was first discovered by ancient India centuries ago. Indian used Neem to prevent and treat lots of health problems, as well as for beauty purposes. Nowadays, they have found antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-parasitic properties in Neem. You can apply Neem oil, or Neem cream directly in your infected area, 1 – 2 times per day within 2 weeks. It helps heal damaged mucosa in short period and inhibit bacteria reproduction. Neem is one of the most effective natural cures for Chlamydia.
Another way to use Neem leaves is putting them into your tea, as dried leaves were crushed and packed into small portions. You should take 2 cups of tea per day for at least one week. Besides, if you have fresh leaves, put them into boiling water then use the douche for a shower after it cools down.
This type of herb is somehow related to Rosemary, that is why they usually consider them as “sister herb.” Not only help strengthen your immune system, but Sage also wipe out virus and bacteria efficiently . Commonly, people use Sage as a spice or put its extract compounds in soap and cosmetics. Now we know some other ways to use this miracle herb as a natural cure for Chlamydia:
- Chew raw Sage leaves: this is not an easy experiment, as the flavor and smell of raw Sage might be too intense for you. But this is the fastest way to absorb the whole organic compounds and boost your immune system.
- Drink Sage tea: if you cannot find the packed form, simply crush some dried leaves and drop in boiling water for 3 – 4 minutes. After straining, drink the tea for at least 3 times per day. Keep using it until the Chlamydia has completely gone.
Sage is likely safe, but doctors recommend using it less than 4 months. Avoid sage, or ask your doctor is you are pregnant, breastfeeding or having diabetes because Sage is unsafe in these cases.
Berberine is the most powerful elements in Goldenseal that can debate bacteria . This is an enzyme that helps raise the number of white blood cell in your body, prepare yourself to fight against Chlamydia infection. To get the best result, you should take up to 1000 mg of Goldenseal, 3 times per day.
Like Neem, Goldenseal can be used as douche to clean the genital area and prevent discomfort sensations (such as Chlamydia itching and pain). To make the douche, mix ½ tsp. of Goldenseal powder with ¼ tsp. of salt in warm water. Strain the mixture after it settles to make sure there are no suspended particles. After that, the douche is ready to use.
This natural remedy for Chlamydia comes from a tropical woody vine in Peru, which is also called “the life – giving vine.” Since its popularity in the 20th century, people started using Cat’s Claw to deal with many chronic and acute diseases . There is evidence that Cat’s Claw protects cells from oxidative stress and have anti-inflammatory agents. In Southern Africa, people with HIV/AIDS even use it as their dietary supplement to increase the immune system.
Apparently, you can find Cat’s Claw in your nearest health food store or online as it is available everywhere. People make tea, capsule, or tincture from its bark and vine. Traditionally, they collect the inner bark of Cat’s Claw vine and put into tea – the easiest way to enjoy it. To get rid of Chlamydia, the recommended dosage for Cat’s Claw bark extract is 300 mg daily.
There is also a cream form of this home remedy, which is very helpful in joint and muscle diseases. But whether it is suitable for Chlamydia is still unclear.
The Indian tribes discovered and used this traditional herbal remedy over 400 years ago. Although almost parts of Echinacea is used to create medicine, its upper part is the most active portion .
There are many reports of the huge benefit of this plant in stimulation of the immune system. The University of Columbia also recommends Echinacea as a natural antiviral and anti-bacteria treatment.
Oral Echinacea combined with antifungal cream help prevent vaginal yeast infection. For Chlamydia cure, you can follow some suggestions below:
- Tincture: use 0.75 – 1.5 ml daily
- Pressed juice: use 6 – 9 ml daily
- Tea: 6 – 8 ounces, 4 times daily
To reach the best result, use Echinacea as soon as the first symptom appears and keep your dosage for at least 10 days.
You should consider the amazing benefits of Oregano more than an ordinary spice for pizza or pasta. To produce 1 pound of Oregano oil, it takes 1000 pound of fresh Oregano leaves.
Oregano oil is one of the simplest and strongest home remedies for Chlamydia because of its anti-bacteria power. It is very simple to use Oregano oil:
- Prepare a cup of warm water, drop 1 – 2 drops of Oregano oil.
- Stir the mixture well, so the oil is completely diluted with water.
- Drink the mixture instantly, so the oil is not separated for the best absorption.
Lots of research claim Oregano oil is one of the best home remedies for STDs as well, with appropriate consumption.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Provide a healthy diet with green vegetables, probiotics, whole grain cereal and sugar-free juice.
- Drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day.
- Prevent sexual intercourse and oral sex during treatment.
- Limit the number of sexual partners.
- If you decide to have sexual activity, make sure to use condoms.
- Suggest your sexual partner go for medical examination.
- Maintain alcohol, caffeine and whole fat food.
- Unsafe sexual activities.
- Using over the counter chlamydia treatment.
Questions and Answers
1. How long does it take to get rid of Chlamydia?
Usually, it takes 10 – 14 days to complete Chlamydia antibiotics treatment period. Using home remedies for Chlamydia requires the same time. In severe cases, the time may last longer.
2. Can Chlamydia kill you?
Fortunately, Chlamydia cannot kill you. But if you do not receive proper treatment, it leads to severe damages in the reproductive system and causes infertility.
3. Is Chlamydia treatment in men different from women?
Antibiotics for Chlamydia and Chlamydia treatment home remedies are the same in both genders.
4. How to cure Chlamydia without going to the doctor?
You can follow instructions about Chlamydia home remedies above. Unless you know exactly your situation, it is better to see the doctor. One of the most important facts about Chlamydia: it is symptomless. So, it is hard to have an accurate diagnosis even with medical practitioners.
5. Can you get rid of Chlamydia completely?
Yes, with appropriate treatment, Chlamydia is completely cured.
6. How to get rid of Chlamydia in children?
As mentioned, children catch Chlamydia eye infection and pneumonia from their mother or the environment. Antibiotics are the first options in these cases. However, it requires longer treatment period than adults.
Conclusion, besides antibiotics, there are so many natural ways to get rid of Chlamydia effectively. Here we presented you some best home remedies for Chlamydia prevention and treatment. Hope that this information is useful and fully provides what you are searching for.
We want to bring the valuable information to readers thus we are happy to know that you LIKE and SHARE this article for your friend.