Table of Contents
Ingrown hairs are truly an annoying issue to everyone because they are not only painful but also unsightly. And if you don’t find a good solution to solve, this trouble will become worse. Among multiple ways to deal with the ingrown hairs, you can stop worrying instantly if trying the best essential oils for ingrown hair.
As you know, the essential oils include the botanical ingredients and natural properties that are vital in calming and protecting the skin. Moreover, the lubrication properties of these oils permit the razor to glide gently over your skin. Relying on that, you can shave the hair without creating too much irritation that might make the ingrown hair happen.
Of course, I will show you a list of the top essential oils that are effective to treat the ingrown hairs. But, allow me to mention the essential and vital information related to this issue first.
All about the ingrown hair that you should know
What is an ingrown hair?
The ingrown hair is a hair which has grown back in the skin and curled around. And if you see any raised red spots that are filled with pus in some places on your face or body, it’s the ingrown hair. Actually, it is not a serious trouble, except it’s rather painful.
However, in case you don’t actually take care of them, these ingrown hairs will become dangerous. So, what will happen?
This hair will develop under your skin, gradually thicken your skin and then become an ingrown hair cyst. This is known as a common skin disorder in those who have bad hair removal regime. To understand better, you can read ALL FACTS ABOUT INGROWN HAIR CYST here.
What to cause the ingrown hair?
Men often get this hair on their chin, cheeks, or neck after shaving. While women usually get it on their armpits, legs or even buttocks. So, it can be said that the ingrown hairs are a standard issue that anyone can catch them. However, does it have any specific reasons that create this problem? Take a look at below to know more!
- Those who have curled or rough hairs often tend to get the ingrown hairs. It’s because these hairs can quickly bend back and re-enter your skin, especially after shaving, tweezing or waxing.
- The next cause is about clogged hair follicles. Sometimes, your hair roots get clogged due to the dead skin cells. This makes the hair continue developing under the skin sideways instead of upward and outward.
- The last cause might happen in girls who have higher amounts of particular sex hormones. These hormones will affect the unwanted hair development that is called hirsutism. And this also makes them get the ingrown hair often.
So, which is the best way to deal with the ingrown hairs? Of course, you are able to find out different-and-effective ways to remove these hairs. At this time, I will show you the best essential oils for ingrown hair that you can easily buy and use right away.
Top 7 amazing essential oils for ingrown hair
Edens Garden Tea Tree Essential Oil
It can be said that the tea tree oil is one of the best essential oils for ingrown hair. With the anti-inflammatory properties, using this product permits you to treat discomfort and swelling from the ingrown hairs. Besides, thanks to the antibacterial properties, you can prevent infection, both from bacteria on the razor blade and when you scratch the itchy bumps .
As a plus, the tea tree oil is useful for dealing with a cyst with no head since both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties are truly effective to reduce this infection. And to know HOW TO DRAIN A CYST WITH NO HEAD clearly, you can consult here.
The most exciting thing is that the TEA TREE OIL FOR INGROWN HAIR might penetrate the surface layer of the skin.
That means you can dab 100% pure tea tree essential oil on a cotton ball and then apply it to your irritated places. Or you can dilute this oil with a carrier oil such as olive or jojoba oil. Or mix it with your regular body moisturizer, salves or ointments and then use after shaving or waxing.
Applying frequently helps to restore nutrients to the skin surface as well repairing the damage to the hair follicles created by the ingrown hair.
NOW Foods Lemon Essential Oil
From the old days, the lemon essential oil has been prized for its effectiveness in cooking, dealing with specific diseases and refreshing the body and mind.
Extracted from 100% lemon peels, NOW Foods Lemon Essential Oil comes with a fresh and clean aroma that easily satisfies everyone. With excellent properties including anticoagulant, antibacterial, antiseptic and astringent, this product boasts about cleansing the skin and revitalizing the skin cells.
Notably, the lemon essential oil helps to decrease excess sebum on your skin via tightening large pores.
Please keep in mind that this product is photosensitive. Hence, you don’t apply it directly on the skin and then expose that area to sunlight or your skin will become itching and burning. It’s best to use at night time or indoor.
Let’s dilute this essential oil for ingrown hair with a carrier oil like olive, jojoba, almond or grapeseed oil. Then absorb this mixture with a soft cloth and apply on the ingrown hair for about 10 minutes. This stops the painful hurt and makes it more tolerable. Meanwhile, the combination with the carrier oil enhances soothing effects.
aVo Essentials Lavender Essential Oil
When it comes to supporting the health and beauty of your skin, you won’t go wrong if choosing aVo Essentials Lavender Essential Oil, which is known as one of the most wonderful essential oils for ingrown hair.
Due to antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, using this product assists you to decrease most inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, and even the ingrown hairs. Aside from a pain-alleviating agent, the lavender essential oil helps to heal wounds, refresh skin cells, and ease skin irritations .
The best thing is to mix 3-4 drops with a ½ teaspoon of jojoba or coconut oil and massage over the skin before shaving. This mixture will penetrate into your skin and stop the ingrown hairs from getting infected.
Especially, this lavender oil from aVo Essentials is naturally derived in Bulgaria where is one of the biggest suppliers of lavender in the world. Therefore, when using this oil, you will get the smoother, sweeter, and less camphor-like scent as compared to the others. What’s more, you’re guaranteed to get a full refund if feeling unhappy with this product.
Are you struggling with the ingrown hairs? It’s time to consider this product.
Sky Organics Castor Essential Oil
Native to the tropical regions of India and Africa, castor oil is well-known for its oil-rich castor beans. Through the cold-pressed process with no heat and chemical substances, the castor essential oil from Sky Organics holds all the healing and soothing properties that are helpful for the skin.
- The anti-inflammatory property of the castor oil makes it useful in dealing the irritated skin.
- The antimicrobial property protects the skin from the bacterial infections, mainly the bacteria from the razors.
- The triglycerides and humectant properties help to maintain the moisture and get rid of dirt from your skin.
- The castor oil helps to open the clogged pores where they easily form the ingrown hairs. Also, this product is useful for treating the ingrown hair cyst.
The most wonderful thing is that you can apply this essential oil directly on the skin. Absorb 1 or 2 tablespoons on a clean cloth and then let it sit on the place you want to treat about 10 minutes. Try to do about 2-3 times a day until the ingrown hairs are deleted.
If this is your first use of the essential oils for ingrown hair, the Sky Organics castor oil may become your best choice because it can give you lots of amazing results.
Healing Solutions German Chamomile Essential Oil
As you know, dry skin tends to get the ingrown hair than moisturized and well-hydrated skin. On our five must-have essential oils for ingrown hair, the German chamomile oil from Healing Solutions is known as the best choice for those with dry skin.
Extracted from the flower heads of Matricaria chamomile via steam distillation, this product includes a series of effective properties such as antispasmodic, antifungal, carminative, antiseptic, mild sedative, and anti-inflammatory. When the oil penetrates into the skin, its potent anti-inflammatory action will ease and restore irritated skin, burns, bruises, and other skin conditions.
Moreover, the German chamomile oil helps to balance skin sebum levels and make it ever lubricated and moisturized, thereby stopping the annoying ingrown hairs. Let’s mix about 20 drops with 1 cup of sweet almond oil and then massage your whole body or any areas prone to the ingrown hair.
What’s more, using this product frequently helps to remove dark circles and crow’s feet, soothes the blemishes, and keeps your skin refreshing and young all the times.
However, you should notice some side effects that might happen. For instance, avoid availing the German chamomile essential oil if you’re pregnant or allergic to any plant from Compositae or Asteraceae family.
Poppy Austin Argan Essential Oil
Poppy Austin boasts its Argan essential oil, which is cold-pressed from the fruit of the Moroccan Argan trees, bringing a 100% pure, unrefined, and organic product.
This essential oil is nicknamed as the “miracle oil” because it’s rich in vitamins A, C, E as well as holding a large number of antioxidants, Omega-6 fatty acids, and linoleic acids. So, if you need to deal with red bumps or annoying ingrown hairs after shaving or waxing, using the Argan oil is extremely helpful.
Just warm up 2-3 drops in your hand and then gently massage into the affected area. And you soon notice that the number of ingrown hair is efficiently decreased.
Additionally, this product helps to lessen sebum levels in those with oily skin. It’s because the linoleic acids can assist in the decrease of inflammation and balance the natural oil on your face. As a plus, don’t mind using it as a moisturizer since it’s full of necessary vitamins that can keep your skin moisturized all the times.
Just note that the Argan essential oil can be applied directly on your skin, but avoid drenching yourself in the oil. Try adding some drops, massage gently, and then you will see the magic from one of the most amazing essential oils for ingrown hair.
Edens Garden Lemongrass Essential Oil
Among our list of the essential oils for ingrown hair, the lemongrass oil comes with a fragrant aroma that easily satisfies you. Extracted from lemongrass, a herb native to Sri Lanka and India, Edens Garden Lemongrass Essential Oil is known for its substantial healing benefits.
As a 100% pure therapeutic grade oil, this product is valued for great properties including antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, skin rejuvenating, and astringent. Relying on that, it can be used to remove cellulite, tone oily skin, and unlock obstructed pores and ingrown hairs. Especially, its antiseptic and antibacterial properties prevent the ingrown hair from being infected.
Besides, using the lemongrass essential oil helps to reduce inflammation thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Before applying, you need to dilute the lemongrass oil with a carrier oil such as olive or jojoba oil. After that, put a drop of this mixture on the ingrown hair to cleanse and boost healing. Avoid using the oil directly on the skin, especially those with the sensitive or highly damaged skin because it might cause irritation.
Tips to use the essential oils for ingrown hair effectively
With the top 7 essential oils for ingrown hair above, you’re guaranteed to receive the best results no matter which product you are going to bring back home. However, you should take care of some tips before using.
- Firstly, never apply the essential oils directly on your skin because they are quite strong. Although some oils allow you to do, it’s best to dilute with the carrier oil or read instructions for use carefully. Remember that one drop of essential oil will mix well with one tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Secondly, if this is your first time or first use of the new essential oils for ingrown hair, you need to test it on the inner elbow. Of course, you have to dilute it before applying. Then wait for minutes and check whether it’s safe for you to avail.
- Thirdly, people who are suffering from hypertension, asthma, epilepsy, and other chronic health conditions, as well as pregnant women, need to ask for their doctor or healthcare professional before using.
- Lastly, always purchase 100% pure and high-quality essential oils to treat your ingrown hairs well.
Ways to stop the ingrown hairs from appearing
As you see, using the essential oils for ingrown hair is extremely helpful. Also, you are able to find out other effective methods to try doing at home. But, why do you have to wait for the appearance of the ingrown hair and then remove it? Why don’t you learn how to prevent their development in the future?
It can be said that shaving improperly is one of the leading causes of the ingrown hair. Don’t be surprised because that’s it. Try looking at a couple of tips below to know whether you are contracting any bad habit.
- Do you soften your skin before shaving? Remember that it’s imperative to warm up and soothe the hair along the skin. Use a clean towel, dip it in warm water and rub it on the face.
- Cooling down your face after shaving is a must as well. And using the cool water will lessen irritation better.
- Shaving every day helps to stop the ingrown hair.
- In case you’re prone to develop the ingrown hair, exfoliating the skin frequently is vital. Just take a wet cloth and rub on your face in a circular motion. Or if you use some soft scrub, performing 2-3 times a week is ideal.
- It’s best to utilize the single and sharp-bladed razor because it leaves a small stubble. Relying on that, you can stop bacteria from entering tiny openings of the skin. In addition, you should avoid using the double or multiple blade razors since they are too close your skin.
- How to shave correctly? You need to shave in the direction of the hair grows to prevent the ingrown one. Note that the hair on face develops down, straight out down below the jawbone, below Adam’s apple, and up along the lower neck.
- Do a few of strokes and don’t forget to rinse your shaver after each stroke.
- The best thing is to avoid using the electric razor. Or you have to know how to avail it correctly.
Changing the hair removal technique
If you aren’t able to remove the ingrown hair from shaving, you can try waxing or epilating.
- Epilating is known as the best way to stop the ingrown hair because an epilator can pull the hair strand directly from the root that might cause hairs to develop back and become the ingrown ones. But, make sure you avail the epilator with a high number of tweezers.
- Waxing is also effective to prevent the ingrown hair if you know how to combine this technique with proper exfoliation, cleansing, and moisturizing.
Avoid wearing tight clothes
If you’re suffering the ingrown hairs on the body, you need to avoid wearing tight clothes. It’s because the fabric of these clothes applies much more pressure on the skin, making the hair follicles grow outward hardly. Moreover, the tight clothes push the hairs back under your skin and create the ingrown ones.
Never put on the tight clothes after waxing or shaving. If not, you will worsen the situation. Got it?
FAQs about essential oils for ingrown hair
Why should I choose the essential oils for ingrown hair?
These oils help to reduces the skin irritation experienced with waxing, shaving, etc. It gets rid of itchy areas on your skin as well. And the most important thing is that it prevents the development of ingrown hair in the future.
Is using rubbing alcohol good for ingrown hair?
Truly, the rubbing alcohol is not a good solution like using the essential oils for ingrown hair. However, it might help and is used when removing the hairs from follicles.
When extracting the hair by a needle or a pair of tweezers, remember to apply the rubbing alcohol to disinfect later. Avoid availing too much because it might dry your skin and even remove the essential oil.
Why do the ingrown hairs appear on my legs?
You should know that the ingrown hairs can occur anywhere on your whole body. And the main cause is due to the hair follicles get clogged, making the hair to develop inwards.
When should I use the essential oils for ingrown hair?
The ingrown hair often happens between few days to a few of weeks and then go away on it own. But, in some cases, it can last for months. Hence, it’s best to use the essential oils as soon as possible to prevent their growth.
In case you want to know more about HOW LONG DO INGROWN HAIR LASTS or wonder DO INGROWN HAIRS GO AWAY ON THEIR OWN, you can read here.
How to treat the infected ingrown hair?
If the ingrown hair gets infected, it will become red and painful when touched. Actually, we’ve listed methods that you can use to treat this trouble by applying the essential oils as well as other ways above.
Or you can ask your doctor to receive many useful pieces of advice .
Now, you get recommendations of the best essential oils for ingrown hair as well as valuable ways to help you deal with this issue. Make sure you combine the use of the oil together with necessary actions in order to get rid of these annoying hairs effectively.
So, if you find our article helpful, not only for you but also for your close friends and relatives, tap on the SHARE buttons below. And don’t mind leaving your comments or thoughts in the box below in case you want to know more. We’re always here to support you with all our hearts.