Fungal infection is a common skin disease that causes the patients to feel discomfort, have self-deprecating feelings, and affects the quality of life.
This article directs the reader to another treatment that has excellent antifungal properties but is relatively safe – it is essential oil. The patients can use antifungal essential oils when needed to limit the use of unnecessary antibiotics.
By using essential oils for antifungal,you can have an alternative to fighting fungal without facing the severe side effects of antibiotics.
This article will supply you the basic knowledge about this annoying condition.
What is fungal infection?
When the harmful fungus invades your body, they live and grow in the favorable environment such as wet and humid areas or natural imbalance of the body that causes fungal infections.
The fungal infections include common four types of fungal: athlete’s foot, ringworm, jock itch and yeast infections.
1. Athlete’s foot
Athlete’s foot (the name of medicine: Tinca pedis) is a type of fungal infection that happens in the foot.
Causes: For athlete’s foot, the main culprit is defined as a microscopic fungus that lives and grows in the wet environment of the foot or on the dead cells of the skin, especially between toes. At least, four fungi cause this disease, but the most common one is Trichophyton rubrum.
- Intense itching redness on the foot
- Cracking, blistering or peeling in the affected areas, particularly between the toes.
The causative agent of ringworm is a fungus living common on the dead skin areas belongs to the Dermatophytes fungus group, and the two most common are Trichophyton and Epidermophyton.
The two most prominent signs of ringworm are itching and rash with blisters. Itching in areas of skin lesions, in day and night, in the hot weather or at night. The red rash of a region of limited extent, on the surface usually has many blisters, such as the scars on the edge of the lesions, and skin lesions that are similar to the coin (so called coinage). The disease usually starts at one groin area, which can then spread to the other and butt. In addition to, ringworm can also be found in the limbs, chest, back …
3. Jock itch
Jock itch is a fungal infection of the skin, usually in the groin area, genitals, upper thighs or buttocks.
Cause: Jock itch is caused by tinea fungus that develops in hot and humid environments.
The common symptoms of the disease include:
- Itching in the fungal areas
- The rash appears in the groin, inner thighs or buttocks
- The margin of the rash is a scaly round shape, accompanied with elevated edges
The central part of the rash may be reddish brown.
4. Yeast infections
Yeast infections are caused by the culprit named Candida Albicans fungus – a fungus naturally occurs in the gastrointestinal tract and vagina of women with a particular number.
The normal vaginal environment in the body exists at the level of acid-alkaline balance, and there exist a certain number of bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms in which the harmful microorganisms occupy 20- 30% is controlled by beneficial microbes.
Due to the external or internal effects of the loss of this natural balance, beneficial microorganisms are lost and fungal microorganisms that over-reproduce cause infection diseases.
The symptoms include:
- Itching around the vagina area.
- Unusual vaginal discharge: When yeast infection occurs, your vaginal discharge will secret in large amounts, opalescent and stagnating around the vulva. If you look closely, you will find them quite similar to cheese.
- In addition to, the vagina is a very unpleasant odor.
- Red, swollen and painful in the vagina.
Best antifungal essential oils for fungal infections
Essential oils, which has been used very early in the ancient times, are capable of preventing and resolving infections efficiently. Many people are unaware of the effects of killing bacteria, fungi and viruses of many essential oils which are used to prevent and treat skin diseases, disinfect of home appliances and remove existing bacteria hovering in the air.
In addition to the use of specialized antifungal drugs or apply natural antifungal remedies, many natural essential oils have been proven as the typical representative of treating for fungal infections because of containing a wide variety of antifungal properties.
In this article, we introduce top 7 antifungal essential oils that you should know.
1. Lavender essential oil
This homemade formula uses essential oils for antifungal including lavender essential oil to treat nail fungus that you should follow:
- 30ml of pure rose water
- Six drops of tea oil
- Four tablespoons of cider vinegar
- Four tablespoons of lavender essential oil
How to do:
- First pour the rose water into a bottle, then add the tea oil, apple cider vinegar and lavender oil.
- Then close the corked jar and shake until the oils are dispersed together.
- Finally, apply this mixture to nail fungus, and do 3 – 4 times a day.
According to doctors specializing in herbal medicines, lavender essential oil is one of the most valuable antifungal essential oils. The recent studies show that this fragrant oil is a powerful weapon to fight against a variety of fungus called dermatophytes, as well as Candida species. Those with fungus in the toes or those with athlete’s foot may use lavender essential oils to treat .
However, you should not use pure essential oil to the skin to avoid strong reactions.
If you are facing with feet fungus or interstitial toe fungus, you should do as follows:
- Soak your feet with epsom salt and hot water and add five drops of lavender essential oil.
- Just 10 – 15 minutes of soaking feet, the fungus disease will be reduced remarkably.
2. Clove essential oil
Clove essential oil is proved as one of the most efficient of all the essential oils for antifungal. Clove essential oil contains benzoic acid (a substance that helps prevent infections by fungi and bacteria), benzyl benzoate (a specialized chemical composition used for treating itching).
Benzyl benzoate is the main ingredient in herbal remedies such as benzyl benzoate lotion, Ascabiol, Ascarbin, …
While benzoic acid is a colorless solid, found mainly in fruits and essential oils. It acts as a pH regulator. Environment with high pH is a favorable condition for fungal growth. Therefore, benzoic acid is considered to inhibit the growth of fungi.
One of the earliest uses of this substance is the treatment of infections, especially fungal infections, such as foot fungus.
In modern times, the most common application of this substance is preservation in cosmetic products: antifungal activity helps prevent mold growth in the packaging of the product. Typically, benzoic acid is used in toothpaste, moisturizers and acid-based skin care formulas.
Some of the latest tests have shown that Eugenol in clove oil has the potential to block the growth of candida fungus – the culprit for human fungal infections. In Japan, India, clove oil or Eugenol has been used to treat fungal infections in the skin, ear and genital area of women .
How to use the essential oil for fungal infections:
Clove essential oil is used at 120-300 mg or 1-5 of drops to avoid irritable skin.
Before applying, patients should clean the skin for the essential oil directly contact with injured tissue.
- You blend 2 – 3 drops of clove essential oil with two drops of coconut oil, then apply on the fungus area.
- The surface of the skin should be applied gently and evenly so that the essential oil is rapidly absorbed.
Or, you can use clove essential oil for hair fungus as follows:
- Pour two drops of olive oil and three drops of clove essential oil in small bowl
- After washing your hair cleanly, apply the mixture on the hair and massage gently for 5 minutes
- Then incubate the hair for 20 minutes followed by a towel and wash with warm water
- You can use this way two times a week for the fastest effective use
- You mix ½ cup of lemon juice, three drops of olive oil and 3-4 drops of clove essential oil
- After the hair has been rinsed off, apply it to the hair, massage gently
- Then apply incubation for 20 minutes with a large towel, or puff up your hair, and rinse with lukewarm water
- For this method, you should only apply once a week
3. Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is one of the few antimicrobial and antifungal essential oils and widely used in medicine to treat fungus infections.
According to studies, eucalyptus essential oil contains Vicks -an essence have good antimicrobial and antifungal properties and should be applied to treat skin diseases which help to remove dead cells and red scales on the affected skin. Besides, they also have the effect of controlling the itching and pain caused by the disease .
Because this is a very powerful essential oil for fungal infections, so be careful and follow the formula below:
- Mix olive oil well with 2-3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Apply the mixture to the fungal skin, then massage gently in circular motions so that the nutrients in oil penetrate deeply into the skin as well as dead cells are dislodged faster.
- After 5-10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Do 3-4 times a day to get the desired effect .
- Add about 1 teaspoon of epsom salt and a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in warm water at an appropriate temperature of 40 to 50 degrees Celsius.
- If you soak your feet with too hot or too cold water, it will not work. They also damage the blood vessels in the foot, affect blood circulation, the body is susceptible to cold if soaked cold feet.
- The water is on the ankles about 2 cm apart.
- Dissolve salt and essential oil with your hands
- Soak for 15 minutes.
- You should do it every evening before bed.
However, some people are allergic to this essential oil. Therefore, be careful because eucalyptus essential oil can irritate the skin and be harmful if taken directly, especially for children.
4. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is outstanding essential oil for fungal infections, especially popular in the treatment of nail fungus.
Tea tree essential oil is a natural antiseptic with antimicrobial and antifungal properties, outstandingly Terpinen-4 – a very strong antifungal agent with the effect of inhibiting the growth of fungus and the formation of spores. Accordingly, tea tree essential oil is effective against Candida albicans, yeast, fungus and other fungi.
A number of scientific studies have been conducted to test the effect of antifungal of Terpinen-4-ol, outstandingly the National Institutes of Health study in 2012 indicating that the active agent had suppressed antifungal effect in killing the fungal infections and athlete’s foot on individuals .
You need prepare:
- 1 teaspoon of tea tree essential oil
- ½ teaspoon of orange oil
- ½ teaspoon of grape seed oil or olive oil
How to do:
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Dip the cotton wool into the oil mixture and apply to the nail fungus, gently press on the nail for the liquid to spill out. Then keep your nail dry naturally.
- Or you can take 4-5 drops of tea tree essential oil in enough water to soak your feet, and soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Or you blend one teaspoon of baking soda with ½ cup of water to make a paste, then add one drop of tea tree essential oil to the mixture and mix well. Apply this mixture on the nail and leave for 10-15 minutes, then wash your nails with water and dry.
- You mix one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with one drop of tea oil. Apply this mixture to the fungus nail and do twice a day.
These natural antifungal remedies must be done regularly in the morning and evening.
Tea tree essential oil is considered as the most flexible of all essential oils for antifungal because it is used for treating vaginal fungus .
- Pour 3-5 drops of tea tree tea into a ½ teaspoon of salt water, then dissolve in 500ml of clean water, daily clean your vagina.
- If you want to create a fragrance for the vagina area, add two drops of sandalwood oil and increase the amount of water.
- Alternatively, drop a few drops of tea tree oil into the washing underwear water, the symptoms of itching will be reduced visibility.
The tea tree oil is skin-friendly and used to bathe infants so that it can be utilized for the sensitive skin. Even those who have not had a fungal infection, or have no signs of infection, and it should also be used to disinfect water supplies to prevent infection.
5. Grapefruit essential oil
Grapefruit essential oil is one of the most efficient essential oil for fungal infections. It is a natural essential oil extracted from grapefruit peel, containing pectin, amylase, and great vitamins A and C, which have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that can help moisturize, especially for removing bacteria, pathogenic fungi, stimulating hair growth and creating a pleasant scent for the hair .
Method 1: Use grapefruit essential oil to spray directly on the hair
- Firstly, wash your hair thoroughly, then dry your hair.
- Then blend the grapefruit essential oil with coconut oil or mix with warm water.
- Apply this solution to the spray bottle, and spray directly on the skin with hair loss and fungal infection, then massage the scalp gently so that the essence is soaked in the skin and hair.
- You can spray two times when your hair has dried to be effective faster.
- Finally, shampoo after 30 minutes.
- Or you do this formula: Mix 6ml of grapefruit essential oil + 3ml of incense oil + 15ml of coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and the area of loss or thin hair for three times a week, massage for 20-30 minutes and then shampoo again.
- After 30 minutes of massage, the ingredients have penetrated into the hair follicle so you should not be afraid of shampoo to remove essential oils.
- After shampooing or in the morning you apply 1-2 drops of grapefruit essential oil into palms and massage into the fungus area to stimulate hair growth, massage for 5-10 minutes.
- This essential oil for fungal infections will bring the desired effect if you persistently do.
Method 2: Use grapefruit oil instead of conditioner
- After shampooing, give 5-7 drops of grapefruit essential oil with 20-30ml of warm water and rinse your hair instead of conditioner.
- Doing regularly every day will make your hair stronger, thicker and smoother, so you will not need to worry about broken hair anymore.
Method 3: Make a mask for hair from grapefruit oil
- You prepare a mixture of grapefruit essential oil, lemon juice, orange juice will provide additional nutrients to the hair to prevent fungal infections from invading, restore damage and prevent hair loss.
- Divide the hair into four sections along the center line from front to back with the horizontal line of the upper and lower ear.
- In each section, apply the mixture from root to tip in layers of hair. Pay close attention to the tip of the hair because it is the place to receive the most nutrients and most damage.
- Then gently massage the scalp 1-2 minutes to provide nutrients to dry scalp.
- Incubate: After applying, wrap the entire hair and then incubate with a bathrobe or a warm cotton towel.
- You incubate for 20 minutes that allows your hair to be more moisturized, however, so do not leave it too long and make it greasy and sticky.
- Rinse: Take off the towel, rinse your hair thoroughly with cool water.
- There is no need to use extra conditioner and do not rinse thoroughly, so the nutrients are removed.
Among antifungal essential oils, using grapefruit essential oil is the leading and specialized treatment of natural antifungal remedies you should apply.
6. Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil is one of the leading natural antifungal remedies because of citral and geraniol – strong antimicrobial agents against the fungus, so it is advised to treating fungal infections.
The recent studies in 2014 have conducted to test the antifungal and anti-inflammatory effects of lemongrass oil for some fungal pathogens and yeasts by diffusion method. The extremely positive results with lemongrass essential oil have proved by excellently fighting for Candida albicans fungus – the common cause of yeast infections .
How to do:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with 2 – 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil into a cup of water.
- Use absorbent cotton to apply on the fungus skin for 10 to 15 minutes for the oil to be absorbed, then rinse or dry.
- Do twice a day and continuously for several weeks, the disease will improve and heal.
- Or, peel off five cloves of garlic, then grind.
- Then add the garlic to the boiled water, boil 5 minutes and let it cool down.
- Wait until the water has cooled, add to 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil to soak the fungus nails for 15 minutes and then wipe off.
- Each week, you do three times to achieve the desired therapeutic effect.
Besides the use of essential oils for antifungal, you should also pay attention to building the scientific lifestyle such as changing the dairy diet to creating good habits in life to treat the root of disease.
Natural antifungal remedies
1. Drink plenty of water
Water is the simple treatment of all natural antifungal remedies that affects treating yeast you can apply, so doctors often recommend drinking eight glasses of water a day. The more you drink, the faster the fungus will be reduced. The increased amount of urine will help to cleanse sugar as the medium for fungal growth. It is best to use natural clean water to avoid toxic substances.
Build up a healthy diet:
- Low carbohydrate diets: Women can overcome fungal infections if they eat a variety of foods in low-carb diets such as vegetables, fish, eggs, lentils, nuts, poultry and beef.
- Foods that balance pH (for fungus vagina):
Balance and stabilize pH in blood is very important because if it loses the balance, the fungus in the vagina is easy to proliferate. The best pH environment should be between 7.35-7.45. To know the pH of the vagina, you can use a pH meter test kit.
Then, to balance the pH in the body, you follow the principle: If the alkaline environment is poor, then you should neutralize foods rich in magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium such as almonds, vegetables, and fruits. If the acid environment is too low, it should be neutralized with acid-rich foods such as fish, poultry, and grains.
Should not eat:
- Starch and sugar: The list of foods that should be refrained is sweet foods, cake, candy, honey, flour, refined sugar, pasta, dried fruit, white vinegar and some condiments.
2. Make good habits of living and personal hygiene
- It is a good idea to keep your body clean by bathing and washing your hands often, especially before eating and after going to WC.
- Keep the groin dry so that the fungus has no chance of growth.
- When it is hot and humid, do not wear thick and puffed clothes or avoid tight clothing, rubbing against the skin.
- Keep the living environment clean to limit the growth of fungus.
- Restrictions on bathing, living in public places, dormitory baths need to be cleaned regularly to minimize this problem.
- Do not share towels or do not wear clothes with others.
- Use hygroscopic powder for the armpit, groin and these areas that secret too many sweats.
- Dry the genital area thoroughly to avoid feeling wet, moldy when wearing.
- Wear cotton underwear that is good absorbent, fit, and breathable enough.
- Wash your underwear and should be exposed to the sun .
Just spend 5 minutes reading the article above, you have known the best antifungal essential oils as well as how to use them effectively. Hope that you will try these methods and get well soon!
These are some popular and useful antifungal essential oils for readers. We are looking forward to see your LIKE and SHARE if you want to hear more interesting tips about natural care in the future!